21 April 2012

Baked Crab Rangoon + Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce

This recipe received mixed reviews in our house, which almost never happens. Here is how it all went down... I made these after work because I thought it would add something different to our normal weekday meal lineup. Doug devoured them. Gave it two thumbs up. I ate a few. Gave it one thumb up and one thumb down. To me, it was just... mehhh... You know? I will save the time and energy that went into this appetizer and sauce and splurge on the "real deal" the next time we go out for Chinese. I wanted to post the recipe just in case you are in the mood for something that will satisfy your cravings for an ordinarily fried appetizer.


Baked Crab Rangoon
(From Tracey's Culinary Adventures)
Yield: 24


2 Tbsp. Light Sour Cream
8 oz. Reduced Fat Cream Cheese
1 Green Onion, thinly sliced
1 Garlic Clove, minced
1/4 tsp. Ground Ginger
1 tsp. Soy Sauce
1/2 tsp. Sugar
1/2 C. Crab Meat, drained
Wonton Wrappers

Preheat oven to 415F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Alternatively, you can use a mini muffin pan to make baked crab rangoon look more like purses (I find it is easier to do it this way - just be prepared it won't look like the triangles in my picture).

In a medium bowl, mix the sour cream, cream cheese, green onion, garlic, ginger, soy sauce and sugar together until combined. Gently fold in the crab meat.

Lay a wonton wrapper on your work surface. Place 2 tsp. of the filling in the center of the wrapper and then lightly brush the two adjacent sides with water. Fold the wrapper over on the diagonal and press around the filling to remove air pockets to seal the wrapper tightly. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet; repeat with remaining wrappers and filling. (If you are using the mini muffin pan method, simply place the wonton wrapper in the prepared muffin pan, fill with filling and seal with water to create a purse; cook per below instructions).

Spray the tops of the wonton wrappers lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for about 12 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. Serve immediately with sweet chili dipping sauce (below).

Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce
(From Tracey's Culinary Adventures)
Yield: 1 cup 


3 Garlic Cloves, peeled
2 Red Serrano or Jalapeno Peppers, seeds removed (I used jalapenos, that is why my sauce appears green)
1/2 C. Sugar
3/4 C. Water
1/4 C. White Vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. Salt
1 Tbsp. Cornstarch mixed with 2 Tbsp. Water

Add the garlic, peppers, sugar, water, vinegar and salt to a food processor; process until well combined. Transfer the mixture to a small saucepan and set over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer; cook for 3 minutes. Whisk the cornstarch and water together in a small bowl. Add that to the sauce and continue to whisk while the sauce simmers. The sauce should get thicker after 2 minutes or so. Serve immediately.

4 comments:

  1. Love that these are baked. Makes you feel more virtuous eating them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only experience that I have with crab Rangoon is ordering at Chinese Restaurants too. If I attempted to make them at home it would be the same thumbs up/ thumbs down.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband loves Rangoons, I'll have to try this and see if he likes it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kill me now. Crab rangoon is my weakness. I'm not sure I'd even get the stuffing in the wraps -- I'll eat it all before then!

    ReplyDelete