27 February 2012

Roasted Mushrooms Escargot-Style

Doug's Second Valentine's Appetizer:

"I know it is February and the Farmer's Market is still a couple months away... but mushrooms were on sale, so I had to get them! Our love affair with mushrooms began when my parents visited us in Chicago last fall and we went to the Green City Market. My dad purchased a huge bag of various mushrooms from a local vendor. You may recall the dishes that Becky made with all of these different mushrooms (here, here, here and here). I found this recipe on Gourmet and thought it would pair nicely with the crostini (never thought I would say something like this). I roasted the mushrooms in the oven; however, I will use the grill this summer."

-Doug


Roasted Mushrooms Escargot-Style
(Adapted from Gourmet)
Yield: 4 Servings

1 lb. Mushrooms (your favorite or whatever is on sale)
2 Tbsp. Capers, rinsed and chopped
2 Large Garlic Cloves, minced
2 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
Salt and Pepper, to taste
2 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter, cut into small cubes
2 tsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
1/4 C. Italian Parsley, chopped

Preheat oven to 450F degrees with rack in the middle. Toss mushrooms with capers, garlic, oil and salt and pepper in a shallow baking dish. Top with cubes of butter and roast, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender (about 15-20 minutes). Remove from oven and stir in lemon juice. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.

6 comments:

  1. I love the meaty and earthy flavors of mushrooms. Roasting them is delicious but preparing them on the grill will be extra special.

    Cheers.
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Velva! We are already looking forward to "grilling season!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though it's not even noon yet, this looks absolutely scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look fabulous! Great job, Doug!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I am impressed Doug! I am going to make these soon!

    ReplyDelete