15 February 2012

Classic French Toast

Did you all have a wonderful Valentine's Day? Lucky for me, I get to celebrate Valentine's today (one day late). Hubby MD was on call last night, so he is preparing his annual Valentine's dinner for me as I type this! Eekkk! I haven't seen Doug's menu, but watching him mince garlic and slice shallots makes this girl's heart melt! Don't worry, I'm sure I'll be posting his menu and recipes within the next day or two! Stay tuned...

In the meantime, I thought I would fill your minds with thoughts of something you can make this weekend. You should make this classic French toast ASAP! Holy buckets. Can you believe this was my very first attempt at making French toast? I have fond memories of walking next door to my grandpa's cabin on summer days and he would make French toast to order. Dang, I miss him! Well, do me a favor - make this French toast soon and think of my gramps! I think he would be pretty proud of my efforts on this dish.


Classic French Toast
(Adapted from W&S)
Yield: 4 Servings

1 Loaf Challah Bread, cut into 3/4'' slices
6 Eggs, lightly beaten
2 C. Skim Milk (or half-and-half if you dare...)!
1 Tbsp. Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg, freshly grated
2 Tbsp. Light Brown Sugar
Unsalted Butter, for cooking
Confectioners' Sugar, for dusting
Blueberries or other berries, for garnish
Pure Maple Syrup, for serving


In a shallow baking dish, arrange the bread slices in a single layer. In a bowl, combine the eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar; whisk until blended. Pour the mixture over the bread and let stand for 1-2 minutes. Turn the slices over and let the bread absorb the remaining liquid, about 1-2 minutes longer.

Preheat a griddle and coat generously with butter. When the griddle is hot, cook the bread in batches (you don't want to overcrowd it) until golden and crisp (3-4 minutes per side, depending on your griddle). Transfer the French toast to a warmed platter (I kept the finished toast in a warmed oven until all of it was ready to eat), dust with confectioners' sugar, drizzle with maple syrup and garnish with berries. Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. You are a lucky lucky girl to have such a wonderful husband chef!! Happy (late) Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No doubt that your dinner was delicious! I know that this French toast rocked.

    Cheers.
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. I haven't made French toast in forever! I might have to whip some up this weekend and surprise the hubby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! Let me know if he likes it as much as Doug did!

      Delete
  4. Grandpa would be proud, only he would have cooked it in the bacon grease, remember? ;-) I miss him too. Let's make this on his birthday when we are in Chicago, okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! I would never cook this in bacon grease! YUCK! I know some people prefer that... but not this gal!

      Delete