31 January 2012

Tuna Noodle Casserole

There is nothing better than a warm bowl of comfort food on a cold day. While not entirely healthy, this tuna noodle casserole sure hits the spot! I have memories of my grandma making this for a crowd on chilly Minnesota days. After hours of ice skating on the lake or playing in the snow with my cousins, we would run into Grandma's house (cheeks frozen and noses running) and just devour this! I emailed my aunt recently to get the recipe and I will say that her recipe brought back so many great memories!


Tuna Noodle Casserole
(Grandma Jan's recipe)
Yield: 6 Servings

2 C. Dry Elbow Pasta, cooked, drained and rinsed in cold water
1 Tbsp. Butter
1 C. Celery, chopped
1 Small Onion, diced
1 (10 oz) Can Reduced Fat Cream of Mushroom Soup
1/2 to 1 C. Milk (depending on how liquidy you want it)
3 (5 oz) Cans Tuna in Water, drained
1 (8 oz) Can Sliced Mushrooms
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Cheddar Cheese, shredded (for garnish)
Original Potato Chips, crumbled (for garnish)


Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Meanwhile, in a medium pan, sauté the celery and onion in butter until fragrant and translucent; remove from heat. In a large bowl, mix together the cooked pasta, celery and onion mixture, cream of mushroom soup, milk, tuna, mushrooms, salt and pepper. Lightly coat a round or rectangular casserole dish with non-stick spray. Pour the pasta mixture into the dish. Top with an even layer of shredded cheese; be generous! Finally, sprinkle the top with crumbled potato chips. Cover the casserole and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake for an additional 15 minutes until top is golden brown. Serve immediately.

6 comments:

  1. SO funny you just posted this recipe. I just made it the other day! The crumbed potato chips on the top are the most important part. Love it (and so do my kids). Miss you, Gma Jan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug told me that this picture makes it look like I loaded on the chips... but really, this is a pic of the leftovers! ;) I tried to make it look as edible as possible. But, yes, the chips are the most important part!

      Delete
  2. Yummy! I think Grandma crumbled her chips up more, but that looks nice in your picture. Going to have to make that this week...Miss you Mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crumbling chips are hard, Mom! I was just too lazy and broke them in my hands before I popped it in the oven. I will crumble them smaller next time... PROMISE!

      Delete
  3. Aww, my Mom made tuna casserole with potato chips too! She used egg noodles though, but the rest looks the same. Love the memories! (We ate it most Fridays in Lent!) M

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up on tuna noodle casserole and I'm always looking for new ways to make it. I'm going to try this one...looks delish.

    ReplyDelete