29 January 2012

Italian Wedding Soup

Are you ready for Soup Sunday? I wanted to post this in time for you to run out to the grocery store and pick up whatever ingredients you need to make this soup. Hubby said this is a definite repeat. I made a few tweaks from the original recipe to make it a tad bit healthier. I swapped the ground pork for ground chicken. My mom randomly told me that she wanted to make Italian Wedding Soup for dinner - yet another reason why I need to get back on the blogging bandwagon.


Sorry, but this has been consuming my time:

Hardest. Puzzle. Ever.... 1000 pieces later:


Italian Wedding Soup
(Adapted from Food & Wine)
Yield: 4 Servings

1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 Medium Onion, diced
2 Carrots, finely diced
2 Celery Ribs, finely diced
2 Quarts Homemade Chicken Stock
Salt and Pepper, freshly ground, to taste
1/3 C. Orzo or Ditalini Pasta
1 lb. Ground Chicken, Pork or Turkey (I used ground chicken breast)
1/4 C. Parmesan, freshly grated, plus more for serving
1/4 C. Bread Crumbs
5 oz. Baby Spinach
15 oz. Can of Chickpeas, drained and rinsed


In a large pot, saute the onion, carrots and celery in oil until just fragrant (3 minutes). Season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken stock and bring it to a low boil. Next, add the pasta and cook until al dente (about 7 minutes).

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, knead the meat with the 1/4 cup cheese, bread crumbs and 1/2 tsp. of salt and pepper. Form the mixture into 1-inch balls. Drop the balls into the boiling soup and simmer for 5 minutes (You can also sear off the meatballs in another pan, if you prefer to do that before adding to the soup).

Stir in the spinach and chickpeas; simmer until meatballs are cooked through (about 5 minutes long). Serve immediately in bowls, passing extra cheese at the table.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the healthy recipe Becky! I will be making this soon. And great job on the puzzle! Next time I won't get you such a hard one...Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, first, that soup looks amazing. second - yowza on the puzzle, great job - I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete