19 December 2011

Date + Pecan Banana Bread

I'm experiencing writer's block... so, of course, I turn to my husband and ask, "What should I say about this date and pecan banana bread?" Doug's reply: "Great in the morning with a cup of coffee." LOL! Seriously? Yes, this is great in the morning with a cup of coffee. Just wake up one hour before your family and friends and whip this together. No big deal! Right?!! Well, I will add to his profound statement and say that it is a nice twist to ordinary banana bread. Also, it would make a wonderful holiday treat for your neighbors!


Date & Pecan Banana Bread
(From W&S Bride & Groom, thanks to Dad D.)
Yield: 1 large loaf or 2 smaller loaves

1 3/4 C. Flour
2 1/4 tsp. Baking Powder
3/4 tsp. Kosher Salt
1/3 C. Butter, room temperature
2/3 C. Sugar
1 tsp. Grated Lemon Zest
2 Large Eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/4 C. Ripe Banana (about 2), mashed (very ripe)
1/2 C. Pecans, chopped
1/2 C. Dates, chopped

Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Grease an 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pan with butter (I like to make it in two smaller loaf pans). Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together into a medium bowl and set aside. In a large bowl, use a wooden spoon to beat the butter with the sugar and lemon zest until soft and creamy. Add one-third of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir until fully incorporated. Repeat, adding the remaining flour mixture in 2 more batches. Mix in the eggs and add the mashed banana until well blended. Gently fold in the pecans and dates. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top. Bake until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean (about 1 hour). Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan on a wire rack. Turn out onto a plate and serve at room temperature.

3 comments:

  1. The fact that this quick date bread is perfect with a morning cup of coffee is significant. This looks delightful. I can tell that this bread is not too sweet, which I really like-

    Happy Holidays to you.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel - I'm feeling uninspired too!! This looks tasty - I love new twists on banana bread :) Happy holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks delicious! And I think he's right - it would be tasty with coffee in the morning. If cooked the night before. :)

    ReplyDelete