10 January 2012

Healthy Chicken Pot Pie

Remember the days of frozen pot pie dinners? Please tell me that I'm not the only one who has these memories... I'm not saying that those were bad, but they definitely were not spectacular! These pot pies, on the other hand, are divine! I tried to make them somewhat healthier than the norm. We had a lovely Monday night chicken pot pie dinner with a side salad. I pre-chopped all of the veggies on Sunday, so prep for this wasn't too bad when I came home from work on Monday. Also, I have to confess that I used store-bought pie dough for the crust. It makes my life a lot easier on little things like this.


This is the second time that I have made this recipe, so I know that it is a keeper! I'm going to write it down on my fancy new personalized recipe cards that my MIL gave me! Thanks Marts!

Healthy Chicken Pot Pie
(A Thyme for Wine original)
Yield: 4 servings

1 Russet Potato, cubed
4 Carrots, peeled and sliced/diced
1 C. Frozen Peas
1 C. Frozen Corn Kernels
2 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
4 Medium Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 Large Onion, chopped
1/4 C. All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 C. Chicken Stock
1/2 C. Dry White Wine
1/2 C. Fat-Free Half and Half
1/4 C. Fresh Parsley, chopped
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1 Egg Yolk beaten with 1 tsp water
1 (9-inch) Pie dough round - homemade or purchased

Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Bring saucepan three-fourths full of water to a boil. Using a pasta insert or a large sieve, immerse the potato pieces in the water and boil for 4-5 minutes. Add the carrot pieces and boil for 3 minutes longer. Lift out, drain, and transfer to a bowl. Repeat with the corn and the peas, boiling for 1 minute. Set aside.

In a large sauté pan (with a lid) over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the chicken and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until browned on all sides (about 8 minutes). Season with salt and pepper. Add the onion and cook, stirring until softened (about 2 minutes). Sprinkle in the flour and stir well. Stir in the stock, wine, half-and-half and parsley; bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the vegetable mixture. Transfer to four oven-safe bowls.

Brush some of the egg yolk mixture onto the pie dough round, which should be just a bit wider than your bowls. Place the round, egg side down, over the filling, and press the dough to the rim of the bowl. Brush the surface lightly with the remaining egg yolk mixture. Use a fork to poke a few holes in the top of the pie crust. Place the bowls on a baking sheet. Bake until the crust is golden brown (abut 30-40 minutes). Serve hot.

7 comments:

  1. I am so excited that I have all of the ingredient for this at home (minus the pie crust)! I will definitely be trying this recipe this week...sounds awesome! How did you get that cute heart shape on the top??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just used a pairing knife to make that little heart. Last time I did this, I did each person's initials on top of the pot pie. Use the egg/water mixture to "glue" your shapes to the pie crust!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely have memories of the frozen chicken pot pies my mom would "make' when I was younger...ick! This looks MUCH tastier...and healthier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is one that your FIL would like! I'll try it soon. MIL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved frozen chicken pot pies! Thanks for posting this, I'm so making it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious! It made enough for two meals for us, and Dad loved it! (So did I!)

    ReplyDelete