20 October 2011

Cod with Quinoa, Kale + Mushrooms

I have a confession to make. I am a (self-proclaimed) food blogger and before this recipe, I have never cooked with kale before! Want another confession? I love it! Kale is my new super food that I'll try to hide in Doug's meals whenever I get the chance. Do me a favor and leave a comment with your favorite way to prepare kale. It will give me ideas for future recipes!! Thanks!


This was such a healthy and delicious meal. I hope that you will try it whenever you are feeling adventurous in the kitchen!

Cod with Quinoa, Kale and Mushrooms
(Adapted from Use Real Butter)
Yield: 4 servings

1 C. Quinoa
2 C. Water
Pinch of Salt
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1/2 lb. Mushrooms, sliced or diced (I sliced oyster mushrooms)
1 bunch Kale, washed and torn in big pieces
1/2 Yellow Onion, diced
Salt and Pepper, to taste
4 Individual Cod Fillets
Dash of Paprika and Cayenne Pepper

Rinse the quinoa in 1 cup of cold water for 1 minute. Drain (using a sieve). In a small saucepan, place the rinsed quinoa, 2 cups of water and pinch of salt; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover for 20-25 minutes. Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute the mushrooms until tender; remove from pan and set aside. In the same pan, add the kale and saute until just wilted; remove from pan and set aside. Finally, add the yellow onions to the pan with a little more olive oil and saute until translucent and fragrant. Add the quinoa, mushrooms and kale into the large saucepan and cook on low until it is heated through. While that mixture is staying warm on low heat, cook your fish on the grill or in a saute pan. I recommend using olive oil, salt, pepper, a pinch of paprika and a dash of cayenne to help season the cod fillets. To serve, place the cod on top of a bed of the quinoa mixture.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm. I love this recipe, it looks so fresh and healthy. Kale is awesome! I eat it in salads a lot. And I've tossed it in olive oil, s&p and baked it for krunchy kale too. Like popcorn. I'm always looking for more recipes that use kale. This one looks fabulous! I might swap out the cod for some trout...more omega-3's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I absolutely love kale, especially in soups!! try this one: http://www.thesweetslife.com/2010/11/butternut-squash-and-kale-minestrone.html ...I highly recommend!

    ReplyDelete