11 December 2010

Steve's Famous Crab Cakes

You know how some people are known for making a specialty dish? For example, Uncle Fr. Phil is always asked to make his jalapeno corn dip at our family gatherings. Well Doug's brother, Steve, wants these crab cakes to be his "specialty dish"... the one where people will come together for a gathering and everybody will say, "Oh, Steve, I really hope that you'll make your crab cakes again!" He started this tradition at Thanksgiving (as in a few weeks ago), and let me tell you... It was a successful first attempt! I am posting his recipe in hopes that Steve will make these again for our Christmas Eve appetizer! Clap, Clap, Clap!


Steve's Famous Crab Cakes
Yield: 6 Servings

3 (1 oz) Slices of White Bread
1/4 C. Green Onions, chopped
2 Tbsp. Reduced Fat Mayo
1 1/2 Tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
1 1/2 tsp. Dijon Mustard
1 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire
1/2 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
1/4 tsp. Hot Pepper Sauce (optional)
2 Large Egg Whites, lightly beaten
1 lb. Lump Crab Meat, drained & shells removed
1 tsp. Olive Oil
4 Lemon Wedges, for serving

Place the bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times until the crumbs measure 1 1/2 cups. Combine the next 9 ingredients in a large bowl. Divide into 8 portions; shape into 1/2-inch thick patties. Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the crab patties and cook for 4 minutes per side. Serve with lemon wedges.

10 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful! If we weren't snowed in, I would run out and get the ingredients right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steveo - please mail me a crabcake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love crab cakes. these look very delicious. I would go with chili sauce...mmmm. Thanks very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did my son actually know how to separate the eggs?? I didn't think we'd gotten to that chapter before he moved out! Tell Steve that we are counting on him to come thru Christmas Eve! M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahah, I don't know if Steve separated the eggs or if Jenn helped him. Regardless... those were some pretty darn good crab cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh crab cakes...How happy they make me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crab cakes? Oh man, those sound dee-lish-us!! Especially at 8:00 in the morning!!.. which it is here ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wouldn't mind having these in the morning either, Jen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look delicious! Might be trying my hand at them soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhhh I made your blog! Thanks for the shout-out! And yes, I did indeed seperate the eggs! Who knows, maybe one day Bobby Flay will walk through the door and challege me to a throwdown!

    ReplyDelete