07 September 2010

Oatmeal Applesauce Muffins

That's right... no butter, no oil, no bleached flour, and no yolks in this recipe! Doug and I had a craving for something filling and warm for breakfast, yet healthy and nutritious. I saw this recipe on Deborah's cute blog and decided I would finally give whole wheat flour a try. Turns out it is quite delicious! I should have substituted whole wheat flour for regular flour a long time ago! If you haven't made the switch already, you should give it a try.


Oatmeal Applesauce Muffins
Yield: 12 Muffins

1 C. Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats
1 C. Non-Fat Milk
1/2 C. Unsweetened Applesauce
2 Egg Whites
1 C. Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 C. Brown Sugar
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Sugar

Soak the oats in the milk for approximately one hour. Preheat the oven to 400F degrees. Prepare a muffin tin by spraying it with non-stick spray (no liners necessary). Combine the oat/milk mixture, applesauce, and egg whites in a medium bowl until combined. In another bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; whisk to combine. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients; stir. Don't stir too much though! Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin tins. Sprinkle a pinch of sugar on top of each muffin. Bake for 20 minutes, remove from pan, and cool on a wire rack. Muffins freeze well.

8 comments:

  1. These are my favorite! I love adding chunks of apple or pears to them too. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great muffins! Served up with a god cup of coffee in the morning and I would be rocking. Thanks for sharing.

    btw, I do like using whole wheat flour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love using whole wheat flour...makes me feel like I'm doing my body good by eating baked goods! :) These look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look delicious. I need to make those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a healthy and delicious muffin. My kids would love these.

    ReplyDelete