28 July 2010

Grilled Corn + Tomato Salad

Holy cow.... just got back from a whole week of wedding planning back in Minneapolis! I seriously cannot wait until our big day! YAY!!! I know some of you guys really want some details about our wedding, but we want to keep most of it a surprise. Once we narrow down our vendors, then I will spill the details. Right now, I'll just leave you with a few mental images... chandeliers, candlelight, a dress (yes, I found my dream dress!!), and homemade favors (only makes sense, right??!)... all while overlooking the water! Can't wait to marry my best friend! LOVES!


Grilled Corn & Tomato Salad
(Adapted from Williams-Sonoma)
Yield: 8 Servings

6 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter, melted
A Dash of Tabasco Sauce
2 Tbsp. Fresh Basil, finely chopped
1 tsp. Fine Sea Salt
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper, freshly ground
6 Ears White or Yellow Corn, husks & silks removed
Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, for brushing, plus 1/2 C.
2 Tbsp. Fresh Lime Juice
2 Tbsp. Fresh Chives, finely snipped
1 Bunch Watercress, tough stems removed (or Spinach)
4 C. Cherry Tomatoes, halved lengthwise

In a small bowl, whisk together the melted butter, Tabasco, basil, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Place 3 sheets of foil (each 15''-long) on the counter and place 2 ears of corn on each sheet. Brush corn with butter mixture and wrap up in the foil. Meanwhile, prepare the grill (medium heat). Grill the corn packages for 10 minutes, turning occasionally with tongs. Unwrap the corn and grill the ears directly on the rack for another 5-10 minutes (until nicely charred - not blackened). When corn is cool enough to handle, place each ear over a large serving bowl and cut off the kernels from the cob. Add the lime juice, 1/2 C. olive oil, chives, remaining 1/2 tsp. salt, and remaining 1/4 tsp. pepper in the bowl with the corn and toss to combine. Add the watercress (or spinach) and cherry tomatoes; toss gently. Serve immediately.

8 comments:

  1. awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! I can't wait for the BIG DAY either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you've been having fun wedding planning!

    That salad looks like summer in a bowl! YUM! I may have to make it for just myself though. I made orzo w/ cherry tomatoes and basil last night and B looked at me and asked "what is the green stuff in here that tastes like a plant called again?" Guess he's not as keen on the basil as I am! Or maybe I tend to over-do it because I love basil so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa - I'm in a totally different situation with Doug! He LOVES basil, so we put it in pretty much everything! At any rate, you SHOULD make this as a side dish - all the ingredients can be scaled down so that you can make it just for you. Trust me, this is a perfect summer side!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great salad, cant wait to see your wedding pics...When is the wedding?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doug mentioned that you found your dress when I ran into him at the library last week and it was SO cute how excited he was about it! I bet its beautiful! I got your message and sadly I'm already in Seattle :( I just got here yesterday and am settling in... but we will definitely do dinner when I get back in January! And of course we will keep in touch through the blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this salad is basically the epitome of summer, i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This look delicious... good luck with all the wedding details!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love love love salads like this...could eat them all summer!

    ReplyDelete