06 July 2010

Cashew Chicken

A friend sent this recipe to me, so I decided to give it a try. I served this cashew chicken over brown rice and we really enjoyed it! My suggestion would be to make a little extra sauce and add some green peppers in there to get more veggies in each serving. Some other ingredients you could add to your liking: broccoli, red pepper flakes, sesame seeds, or snow peas.

Cashew Chicken
(Adapted from Everyday Food)
Yield: 4 Servings

1 1/2 lbs. Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast, cut into 1'' cubes
1 Tbsp. Cornstarch
Coarse Salt and Ground Pepper
2 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
6 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 Green Pepper, cut into 1'' pieces
8 Scallions (white & green parts), cut into 1'' pieces
2 Tbsp. Rice Vinegar
3 Tbsp. Hoisin Sauce
3/4 C. Raw Cashews (4 oz), toasted
Brown or White Rice, for serving (optional)

In a medium bowl, toss the chicken in cornstarch until coated. Season with salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 Tbsp. oil over medium-high heat. Cook half the chicken, tossing often, until browned (about 3 minutes). Transfer to a plate. Add remaining oil and chicken to the skillet, along with the garlic, green pepper, and white parts of the scallions. Cook, tossing often until chicken is browned (about 3 minutes). Return first batch of chicken to the pan. Add vinegar; cook until evaporated (about 30 seconds). Add hoisin sauce and 1/4 C. water; cook, tossing until chicken is cooked through (about 1 minute). Remove from heat and stir in scallion greens and cashews*. Serve immediately over brown or white rice, if desired.

*Toasted Cashews: Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spread cashews on a baking sheet and cook for 10 minutes.

7 comments:

  1. This looks amazing and I was totally craving P.F. Chang's today, lol. Great recipe, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely going to be trying this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so tasty. My husband would flip if I made him cashew chicken - he orders it every time we go out to eat Thai. (I don't think most cashew chicken is even Thai food, but they have it at our local place and he loves it.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks good. My husband would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum Becky....this looks SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmm I love cashew chicken, and I bet this is way healthier than ordering in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks GREAT!! And I love the plates!

    ReplyDelete