01 March 2010

Italian Herb + Cheese Popcorn

We invited about 20 of our friends over for "movie night" this weekend in our theater room! It was a blast. I made some popcorn for the gathering... actually lots of it! I made a few batches of regular popcorn and then I made a few batches of this Italian Herb and Cheese Popcorn. It is such a simple recipe and you probably have all of the ingredients in your pantry anyway. Just make some freshly popped popcorn and sprinkle on your favorite dried herbs and some Parmesan cheese... presto change-o, you have a wonderful snack for the movies!


Italian Herb & Cheese Popcorn
(Adapted from Recipe Tips)
Yield: About 4 quarts

2 oz. Parmesan Cheese, finely grated
1/2 tsp. Dried Oregano
1/2 tsp. Dried Basil
1/2 tsp. Parsley Flakes
1/4 tsp. Garlic Salt
1/4 tsp. Onion Powder
1/4 tsp. Salt
3 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
1/2 C. Popcorn Kernels, unpopped
3 Tbsp. Butter, melted

In a small bowl, combine cheese, oregano, basil, parsley, garlic salt, onion powder, and salt. Set aside. In a large popcorn pan or soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add popcorn kernels and cover pan to cook. Shake the pan frequently so that the popcorn doesn't burn. Once popping has stopped, remove pan from heat and pour the popped corn into a large shallow bowl. Drizzle popcorn with melted butter and immediately sprinkle on the cheese mixture. Toss until evenly coated. Tip: I doubled this recipe, so I put everything in a clean brown paper bag and tossed everything together that way.

9 comments:

  1. Yum! That sounds so good and it sounds like you had a great time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for entertaining guests. I'm sure everyone enjoyed "movie night" and all that wonderful popcorn. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, can't imagine how it would taste, will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a theater room?! Shut up! How cool. And the popcorn looks great too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Popcorn made on the stove is basically my favorite food ever (maybe next to chicken wings). I've not experimented much with seasonings, so Ill have to give that a try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this sounds like the perfect movie-time indulgence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm jealous you have 20 friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the recipe.
    I love popcorn ~ when my husband is out to sea or on travel I will often have it for dinner!

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this savory snack! I'm overloaded on sugar so I am happy to have found your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete