18 March 2010

Cucumber Canapés with Smoked Salmon Mousse

These are my favorite "make ahead" appetizers! I seriously could not have made a better appetizer to WOW the guests at the bridal shower. Just look at them; they are so cute! I made the mousse the night before the party, put it in a piping bag, and then placed it in the fridge. It is really important to prep as much as you can the night before or the morning of the party so that you don't have to focus on each component of the dishes. Basically, I just had to assemble the canapés right before I wanted to serve them. Simple and easy! Now that's what I'm talking about!


Cucumber Canapés with Smoked Salmon Mousse
(Loosely adapted from Annie's Eats)
Yield: 60 bites

8 oz. Smoked Salmon, flaked with a fork
8 oz. Cream Cheese
3 Tbsp. Fresh Dill, roughly chopped (or 1 tsp. dried dill weed)
1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
Pinch of Salt, to taste
Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
1 Clove of Garlic, finely mined
Fresh Dill or Chives (for garnish)
Paprika (for garnish)
2 English Cucumbers, sliced 1/4 - 1/2'' thick

Combine salmon, cream cheese, dill, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse repeatedly until all ingredients are blended and the mixture is smooth. Transfer to a serving dish to simply use this as a dip or a spread. If you want to make canapés, transfer this mixture to a piping bag. I would suggest refrigerating the salmon mixture for at least one hour before serving this as a dip or before piping onto the cucumber slices. If you are making this the night before, remember to remove the mousse about 30 minutes before you plan to pipe because you want it to be a little soft. I like to cut the cucumbers about 1/2'' thick and set the slices on a paper towel to soak up some excess liquid. Pipe the mousse onto each slice. Garnish with dill or chives and sprinkle some paprika on top. Serve cold.

4 comments:

  1. YUM! I love these! But I've never made them. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I'm totally stealing it for my next fancy party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the simplicity of these! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, that is an elegant appetizer. I love it! This one is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you come cater a tea party for me? Ah ha ha. YUM!

    ReplyDelete