25 February 2010

Asian Lettuce Wraps

I had a request from one of my readers to post a recipe for Asian Lettuce Wraps. I didn't have one of my own because I've never actually made these before! I love ordering these at P.F. Changs or Kona Grill, but never thought to make my own. The lovely ladies at Our Best Bites have a great recipe. In fact, they gave a kitchen tip that if you don't want to buy ground chicken, you can make your own! If you have a bag of frozen chicken breasts in your freezer, just take out 2 or 3 of them to defrost completely, then put them in your food processor! This recipe also calls for a lot of chopping of vegetables, so they suggested using your clean food processor for that again. I, on the other hand, love to chop veggies and herbs so I do that by hand. I feel like it is so relaxing! Anyway, here is the recipe I used and hope that you'll give it a try!


Asian Lettuce Wraps
(Adapted from Our Best Bites)
Yield: 6 Servings

2 tsp. Vegetable Oil
4 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. Fresh Ginger, minced
1.2 Lb. Ground Chicken or Turkey (1 package)
3/4 C. Mushrooms, minced
1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp. Black Pepper, freshly ground
4 C. Cabbage, minced (about 1/2 a head)
1 (8 oz) Can Water Chestnuts, minced
1/2 C. Green Onions, minced
1/4 C. Low Sodium Soy Sauce
2 tsp. Sesame Oil
1 Lemon, zested & juiced
1 tsp. Hot Sauce
1/3 C. Fresh Cilantro, chopped
1 Head of Iceberg Lettuce

Dipping Sauce: found here

Put your largest skillet on a medium-high heat stove to warm up; add vegetable oil. When hot, add minced garlic and ginger. Saute until fragrant (about one minute), then add ground chicken, mushrooms, and salt. Cook until chicken is browned and cooked through. Next, add the cabbage, water chestnuts, and green onions. After the cabbage just starts to wilt, add the soy sauce, sesame oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, and hot sauce. After everything is cooked through and the flavors marry together, remove from heat and stir in the fresh cilantro.

Carefully separate each leaf from the head of lettuce, wash, and dry them. I kept mine in a tupperware container in the fridge and they stayed nice and crisp (ready to eat)! Spoon the chicken filling into a lettuce cup and roll it up like a taco. Serve with Asian dipping sauce (I used the recipe from my ginger potstickers).

9 comments:

  1. I love PF Chang's lettuce wraps. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these and how super easy they are to make. The dipping sauce sounds delicious as well. I really like your little plate too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love lettuce wraps! These would make great appetizers for a dinner party I'm having next month. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog! It's always fun to hear from other MN bloggers =)

    Have a great rest of the week! It's almost Friday =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG!! I love, LOVE your adorable blog!!! I'm so glad you found my blog!! I love hearing from other Omaha bloggers too!! If you ever have any Omaha related questions let me know!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love making lettuce wraps. Especially for friends, because they're always impressed (even though it's easy!). And ps...I made the lemon bread you posted & it is delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yumm Yumm YUmm!!

    (thanks for the tip: I do LOVE the Proposal :)
    Have a super weekend!

    xoxo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love lettuce wraps and was just telling mu husband yesterday that we haven't made them in a while...I think this is the recipe I am gonna try!!
    Thanks for stopping by my site and leaving a comment, so glad to have found yours!

    ReplyDelete