05 January 2010

Tuscan Vegetable Soup

Here is a healthy recipe to start the New Year!  I've been craving soup lately, but figured that I should whip up something besides turkey chili, chicken tortilla soup, Mom's chicken noodle soup, or roasted tomato basil soup because I haven't blogged in a while!  My readers are starving!  I get it!  I was a bit hesitant to try this veggie soup at first because it originally didn't call for a protein, rice, pasta, or potato.  The good thing about soup is that you can pretty much throw whatever you want into the pot and it will still turn out delicious!  I decided to add some small red potatoes into the mix and it made it a little heartier for this cold weather.  Ham, sausage, turkey, chicken, or beef would also be nice additions to this soup if you are looking to add some meat.  I just have to keep some special readers in mind and make some veggie options every now and then!  

Cheers to 2010!  Thanks to all of my readers for following my blog and leaving me such lovely comments.  You definitely keep me motivated to post my creations on Thyme for Wine! XOXO


Tuscan Vegetable Soup
(Loosely adapted from Ellie Krieger - Food Network)
Yield: 6 Servings

1 (15 oz) Can Canellini Beans or Northern White Beans, drained & rinsed
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1/2 Medium White Onion, diced
3 Carrots, diced 
3 Stalks Celery, diced
1 Small Zucchini, diced
4 Small Red Potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 Clove Garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. Fresh Thyme Leaves, chopped (or 1 tsp. dried)
2 tsp. Fresh Sage Leaves, chopped (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Black Pepper, freshly ground
32 oz. Low-Sodium Chicken Broth (I make my own base)
1 (14.5 oz) Can of No Salt Added Diced Tomatoes
1 Roma Tomato, diced
1 dash of Cayenne Pepper
Parmesan Cheese, freshly grated (optional)

In a small bowl, mash half of the beans with the back of a spoon, and set aside.  Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat.  Add the onion, carrots, celery, zucchini, potatoes, garlic, thyme, sage, salt and pepper; cook stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender (about 7 minutes).

Add the broth and tomatoes with the juice and bring to a boil.  Add the mashed and whole beans, and the cayenne pepper (about 3 minutes more).  Turn it down to low and let it simmer for 20 minutes or more.  Serve topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

5 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious, you'd probably never notice it was healthy. Just the way I like my healthy food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a fabulous soup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies!! I hope you'll give it a try and let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum Yum Yum!!! I am putting this on the menu planner for next week:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing this great recipe.

    ReplyDelete