24 January 2010

Tortellini Tomato Spinach Soup

I woke up this morning to some sunshine - it was lovely! I worked out, then went to school to study for a while, and called my sister to wish her a happy birthday. She is my best friend. Don't you love that??! I do! We went through the typical years of hating each other, but now we love each other. I couldn't imagine my life without her! I was studying ALL DAY, so Doug went to the grocery store and picked up some ingredients to make this soup. I probably spent a total of 30 minutes on this soup... and it is delicious! Now we are watching the football game. It has been a nice Sunday to say the least! Happy birthday to Sarah and Goooooo Vikings!


Tortellini Tomato Spinach Soup
(Loosely adapted from Food Network)
Yield: 4 Large Servings

1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1/2 White Onion, minced (about 1/2 C.)
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
4 C. Chicken or Vegetable Broth (I make my own base)
1 (14 oz) Can Whole Tomatoes, crushed through your fingers or coarsely chopped
1 (9 oz) Package Fresh Tortellini (We used Chicken & Prosciutto Tortellini)
Salt & Pepper (to taste)
1/8 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 tsp. Dried Herbs of your choice (I used thyme)
3 C. Fresh Spinach, loosely packed; chopped
Freshly Grated Parmesan, for garnish

In a soup pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute the onion and garlic, stirring often until onions are translucent (about 5-7 minutes). Add broth and tomatoes; turn heat up to high and bring to a boil. Add the tortellini and cook to package instructions. When tortellini is almost done, add spinach and taste, adjusting seasonings with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and dried herbs. Serve immediately. Garnish each serving with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

9 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful soup to feel satisfied but not over indulgent. Very nice.

    It is wonderful to have a sister that you can call yoru best friend. That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that you do love your sister after all of those years! My sister is my best friend too...the soup looks awesome Becky. Can't wait to try it! Maybe in Florida this week? ;-) Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! My sisters are also my best friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister and I are the same way - we fought of course growing up but we are the absolute best of friends. Nothing better than a sister! Sorry about the Vikings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im sorry about the Vikings:( That soup looks yummy! I have been trying to cut back on pasta, but this looks totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SISTER!!! I love you so much and THANKS for the birthday wishes and kind words! Can't wait to see you in Marco next week. Have a pina colada waiting for me! BLOG ABOUT IT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this last night and loved it!

    ReplyDelete