07 January 2010

Pork Chops with Parmesan Sage Cornbread Crust

If you haven't had a good pork chop in a while, give this recipe a chance. In fact, Doug said that it was a "must try!" It was juicy and delicious. He said that it was the best pork chop he has ever had! Woot woot! Perhaps it was the cheesy, lemony, cornbread and sage crust... or perhaps it was because I didn't serve it until 9:00PM (and he was a bit hungry). At any rate, this is a keeper. I am definitely going to use this recipe in the near future and substitute chicken breasts in place of pork chops!


Pork Chops with Parmesan Sage Cornbread Crust
(From the Toast to Omaha Cookbook)
Yield: 6 Servings

1 Large Corn Muffin, processed into fine crumbs
1 C. Parmesan Cheese, freshly grated
1/4 C. Fresh Sage, chopped
2 tsp. Lemon Pepper Seasoning
1 tsp. Lemon Zest
1 tsp. Kosher Salt
2 Egg Whites, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp. Cornstarch
2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
1/2 tsp. Salt
2 Tbsp. Butter
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
6 Bone-in Center Pork Loin Chops
Lemon or Orange Wedges for garnish

In a pie plate or cake pan, combine cornbread crumbs, Parmesan, sage, lemon pepper, lemon zest, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg whites, cornstarch, lemon juice, and salt. Pour into another pie plate. Dredge each chop in egg mixture, turn to coat. Press chop into crumb mixture, turning to coat completely. Let rest on a wire rack for 20-30 minutes to allow coating to set.

In a large skillet, melt butter with oil over medium-high heat. Add chops and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side. Cook, turning often until internal temperature reads 140-145 degrees, about 20 minutes. Baste chops with pan juices while cooking. Transfer to serving platter and let rest, lightly tented with foil, until internal temperature reads 150-155 degrees. Transfer to plates, and garnish with lemon or orange wedges.

Chef's Notes: The pork may be browned for 3-4 minutes a side and baked in a 400 degree oven until done. This recipe also works well with boneless chops and bone-in chicken. **I used boneless chops and baked them.

6 comments:

  1. Oh...my! I have been craving a good pork chop and I think this recipe will do nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is crazy but I haven't eaten a pork chop in 17 years!!! I stopped eating meat a long time ago, started back up 4 years ago and still haven't eaten a pork chop yet! I have only had chicken wings once too! I have lots of things on my list but this sounds delicious-you had me at "cheesy" YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PL&C: I'd definitely recommend these chops if you want to get back on the bandwagon :) Your comment made me laugh out loud! Make these and let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, we haven't had pork chops in a while, my hubby will love these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dad is making it tonight! I'll let you know how he does!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He did great!!! Love trying your fun recipies Bax!

    ReplyDelete